HAMILTON ORTHODONTICS: A FRESH TAKE ON DENTISTRY IN CANADA
Our team specializes in Hamilton orthodontics and will provide patients with all of the information they need to know before, during, and after treatment. We have treatment options that fit all ages and lifestyles. Click the button below to schedule your appointment with our team!
VISIT OUR CLINIC FOR HAMILTON ORTHODONTICS
Although there are other alternatives to getting a straight smile, traditional orthodontics is one of the most effective ways to do so. For some smiles, there are problems that go beyond a simple straightening, and traditional braces are one of the best ways to get the teeth to line up properly. If you are considering traditional braces to straighten your smile, our Hamilton Orthodontics team is happy to walk you through the procedure to obtain your new smile.
WHAT IS TRADITIONAL ORTHODONTICS?
Traditional orthodontics refers to standard metal braces. They are made up of three parts:
- Brackets – Brackets are attached to each tooth
- Bonding – Bonding is the agent used to attach the brackets firmly in place during treatment.
- Archwire – This is the thin metal wire that goes from bracket to bracket. The wire exerts pressure on the bracket and, in turn, creating your new smile.
WHY DOES OUR ORTHODONTIST RECOMMEND BRACES?
The fact is that some cases are not going to be appropriate for less invasive methods, like Invisalign. Invisalign is great for straightening teeth, but for more complex cases, traditional braces are the leading option. Why?
- Your orthodontist will have a lot more control over the movement of your teeth with traditional braces. If something isn’t going as planned, changes can be made to the plan before proceeding. This customization is the primary reason that traditional braces are preferred and often the only option for more complex cases. Invisalign is a great orthodontic method for moving teeth horizontally as they move your teeth using clear plastic aligners, but some cases require more than that.
- If there are problems with the bite, especially that concern any of the large back teeth, standard braces are the only option. Invisalign does not address problems like this.
- Straightening teeth using standard braces may work best on young patients since they are permanent. Parents won’t have to worry about their children taking them out, losing them, or not wearing them during the day.
- Standard braces may work best on young patients since they are permanent. Parents won’t have to worry about their children taking them out, losing them, or not wearing them during the day.
Of course, individual evaluations of each and every case is required from the start. That is why there are so many different treatment options because what is good for someone won’t necessarily be good for another person. Dr. Sims is able to discuss treatment options in more detail when you come into the office for your next orthodontic appointment and will take the time to help you decide which is the best for you.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS FOR GETTING ORTHODONTICS IN HAMILTON?
When you come into our dental office for a consultation, Dr. Sims will do an examination to see whether you are a good candidate for traditional braces. Once you’ve decided to proceed, the next step is to take x-rays and take photographs and impressions of your teeth. From there, our team will take the time to develop a treatment plan to align your teeth and start you on the path of the smile you’ve always wanted.
The dentist will discuss your orthodontic treatment plan with you and then proceed to put it into action! You may need some initial preparatory procedures like an expander or spacers on your back teeth. You’ll also have choices as far as if you want metal or clear braces. After these decisions are made, the process gets underway as the brackets are attached, and the archwires are placed.
You will have monthly adjustments and may experience some pain right after as your teeth are getting used to the new amount of pressure being placed on them. The pain will subside in a day or two, but it’s a sign that the treatment is working and your teeth are aligning.
This type of orthodontic treatment can typically take about two years, but that will vary for each case. After your braces are removed, you will be given a retainer to help prevent your smile from slowly shifting back to its former position.
Let's Get Started On Your New Smile TODAY!
If you have any questions about braces and other orthodontic treatments, or if you’d like to schedule an appointment for a consultation, please call our office to chat with one of our orthodontists to book your next visit at 905-545-4833 or via our email address: [email protected]
SPEAK TO YOUR DENTIST ABOUT THIS PROCEDURE TODAY!
At Century Stone Dental, we are happy to answer any questions you may have about this procedure. Our dentist will discuss the best bone and gum grafting to get you on your way to a beautiful, functional smile! Call our office to book an appointment for one of our services today. Call at 905-545-4833 or email us at [email protected]