Last week we went over the top 5 foods that can cause or make bad breath worse. This week we will go over the TEN foods that help combat bad breath.
Foods that Combat Bad Breath
- Fennel Seeds – These little guys neutralize bad odors and help digestion. On top of that they promote saliva flow which will help to wash away any bad odor that is lingering in the mouth.
- Green Tea – We all know that green tea is good for you but it’s also good for your mouth. It’s high in polyphenold, antioxidants that help fight the growth of bacteria in the mouth. The only downside is that some green teas can stain your teeth.
- Apples – When you bite into an apple you are mechanically helping to remove any plaque that may be present on your teeth. This plaque is full of bacteria that may be causing bad breath. Not to mention – an apple a day keeps the doctor away. It’s a win-win.
- Leafy Green Vegetables – Green vegetables help to keep your pH levels balanced in your body and your mouth. This helps to prevent dry mouth which will cause bad breath. The chlorophyll inside the vegetables is also a natural deodorizer.
- Probiotic Yogurt – Eating yogurt with a probiotic will decrease odor-causing sulfite compounds. They are also a great source for Vitamin D, which flights mouth bacteria. If you want to live on the edge, try kefir.
- Water – Dry mouth is a major cause of bad breath. Bacteria love a dry environment, and that is when they thrive. Drinking lots of water and staying hydrated is not only good for your body, but also for your mouth!
- Parsley & Basil – These guys are absolutely filled with chlorophyll that will help fight against bad odors. Throw them into a shake or into a stir-fry and you will start the fight against bad breath.
- Strawberries – Like most fruits – strawberries are high in water which will fight dry mouth. They are also high in Vitamin C, which creates an unpleasant environment for bacteria to survive.
- Melons & Citrus Fruit – The Vitamin C in these fruits will scare away the bad-breath causing bacteria. And for the same reasons as strawberries – these guys will fight against dry mouth. The extra Vitamin C will help fight gingivitis – a bonus!
- Ginger – This is an ancient remedy for stomach aches but it also is very powerful in neutralizing bad breath. If you find yourself fighting bad breath, pressed ginger combines with lemon juice mixed in equal parts with warm water makes a great mouth rinse.
So there you have it – 10 foods that help combat bad breath. Now nobody has an excuse and when all else fails and you find yourself stranded with bad breath – pop in a sugar-free mint or sugar-free gum.
For more information about bad breath (halitosis), visit the Canadian Dental Association.
No matter your age, dental condition, and if you have a million questions, Dr. Sims can assist you or your young children in a professional manner and loves answering any of your questions or concerns.
Dr. Sims grew up in Grimsby playing basketball, so he’s always up for talking about the Raptors! He’s also a football fan - go Buffalo Bills! In his free time, if he’s not watching a basketball game or football game, you’ll likely find him working out, cooking (got any new recipe ideas?), and of course, spending time with his amazing family.
Latest posts by Dr Christopher Sims (see all)
- Can Dental Implants Make You Sick? - October 20, 2019
- 5 Reasons to Get a Dental Crown for Children - October 2, 2019
- Choosing the Best Night Guard to Prevent Teeth Grinding - February 8, 2019